Like many people I was surprised Trump got away with his vulgar rhetoric and continuous lies, for so long. Having known about Trump since the 1980's I was totally against him from the start. Knowing more than a little about business, I knew he was a braggart, but he did know how to use other people's money. He also understood branding. He is also the stereotype of an idiot college graduate, not to mention a spoiled brat. The fact that Trump has gotten this far is a negative reflection on the Republican voter. He was the leader of the Republican pack from day one, and tied in the polls with Clinton before the conventions.
As I said before, I wasn't surprised (given Republicans history of electing people of questionable standards) about Trump's success, just depressed. I've lived through Americans electing demagogues before and Trump seemed like another example of American voters being suckers. P. T. Barnum was correct and infomercial products prove it. Trump is just another carnival barker, a salesman, with less success than the guy who made millions on spray on hair and the Chia Pet.
I call him the "Teflon Don". No matter how vulgar he got, his poll numbers went up. That reality showed me he could win. Trump got a 3 point boost after the Republican convention, but after the Democratic convention he dropped 12 points. He's about 7-10 points down now depending which poll you look at. But more, he has leveled off and the polls have been consistent for a little over two weeks. His momentum seems to have stalled, and more people are looking at him more negatively. The Republican leadership keeps disavowing what he says, but have not, yet, rescinded their endorsements.
As the "Teflon Don" deflates, that will leave the Republican party in a mess and badly wounded. Add to that the Democrats seem destined to get majority in the Senate, even McConnell said things don't look good for keeping majority in the Senate. Not only are things looking great for the Democrats, but at this rate Clinton could have a huge landslide against Trump. That would be great news for the country!
Republicans will still have majority in the House, which could affect the money Clinton needs for her programs. I expect judge Ginsberg will give her resignation if Clinton wins the presidency. I hope Obama will drop his Supreme Court nominee and allow Clinton to name two justices.
Seems Americans have had enough of Trump, which leaves me confused as to why it took them so long to come to the realization that Trump is a dangerous joke. It defines the old saying, any press is good press. Speaking of the press, they took a biased stance with Trump and gave him billions of dollars worth of free press. That free press gave Trump the lead in the Republican primaries from day one.
When Trump loses and is gone, he will be a footnote in history. Trump is not the Republican party and Trump has no party. Republicans can get back to being their do nothing selves and hopefully a more civilized politics. In my opinion the Republicans were not a civilized party even before Trump came along.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.